REDUCE SYMPTOMS, KEEP ACTIVE, STAY CONNECTED
Research shows that consistent exercise benefits people with Parkinson’s Disease, helping to protect certain areas of the brain affected by the disease. Exercises that focus on balance, coordination, and agility, help those affected by Parkinson’s to maintain higher levels of function and greater quality of life.
The Parkinson’s Body & Mind program at YMCA of Greenwich offers group wellness classes as well as monthly support groups for this rapidly growing community. Additional classes will be added in 2020 in new areas such as spin and aqua therapy.
Current Live Classes
Wednesday – Boxing w/ Heather @10am
Thursday – Boxing w/ Ray @ 6pm
Friday – Yoga w/ Francesca @ 10am
Boxing: A beginner’s class that combines strength, balance, and cardio training to provide an all around work out.
Shake it Off Dance: The only requirements are that you have a body and you want to move to music! The more the merrier. Come join us as we shake off the winter, the cold and anything else we want to be free of, for a fun-filled hour! (Wednesdays at 2pm with Suzanne! February 12, 19, 26 and March 4.)
Strike Out Boxing: Come join our dynamic and high intensity punch and kick-boxing class to help promote neurogenesis. Incorporating dynamic challenges for balance, help alleviate the symptoms and slow the progression of PD. (Thursdays at 6PM with Ray!)
Yoga: Calm your mind while improving strength and flexibility.
Yoga & Meditation: Calm your mind while improving strength and flexibility.
DON’T MISS OUT!
Join our PD Body & Mind Support Group for people with Parkinson’s and their care partners.
Meet our PD Body & Mind Support Group Leader, Jim Stratoudakis Ph.D., LCP Retired
Parkinson’s (PD) Body & Mind Program Pass
In order to serve the participants of our Parkinson’s Body & Mind programs better and make it easier to receive YMCA communications and check-in, we have transitioned from a per class fee schedule to a monthly fee schedule, effective Oct. 1st
PD Body & Mind Program Pass holders benefit from:
- Access to unlimited weekly Parkinson’s Body & Mind classes and programming at the YMCA. Currently there are three classes/week, however we anticipate adding two more (Boxing on Mondays, Tai Chi on Tuesdays) by Nov. 1, for a total of 5.
- Having an active membership to the YMCA of Greenwich, thus receiving all YMCA communications as well as the ability to download the YMCA of Greenwich app for easy class registration.
- The ability to freeze the re-occurring monthly fee of $49 at any time as it suits the participant.
- Zero joiner’s fee that is normally assessed for new memberships.
- Coming soon! – One time assessment with a Parkinson’s clinical therapist for goal setting and mobility assessment.
Click here to sign up online for the Parkinson’s Program Pass.
* Any remaining credits of class punchcards can be credited towards fees of a Parkinson’s Program Pass.