Chief Executive Officer
Reports To: Chairman of the Board
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Date: September 2021
YMCA of Greenwich Character Development
The core values that guide the YMCA in fulfilling the mission and goals are: caring, honesty, respect & responsibility.
Position Description and Board Expectations:
The CEO provides executive leadership to the YMCA and, in partnership with the Board of Directors, is responsible for its strategic direction and success. Leads the organization in achieving its mission and guiding principles, including overseeing its financial stability, growth, community and philanthropic relations, financial development, staffing and operations.
This position requires an inspiring leader who can collaborate effectively with staff, the board, community and local government leaders, members, donors and volunteers. The CEO will be a visionary with a demonstrated history of forming partnerships, creating unity and leading successfully in challenging times. He or she will champion and position the YMCA as a partner, implementing strategies to deliver on our mission. This position requires experience leading teams and the skill sets and expertise to successfully navigate a multi-program and complex organization.
- Provides support and leadership to the Board of Directors as its executive officer, implements its policies, plans and directives, and reports to the Board on matters affecting the welfare of the YMCA of Greenwich. Acts as a resource to the Board and its committees on policy development, planning and financial development and helps Board members understand and appreciate their role and responsibilities.
- Provides top leadership to the organization’s fund raising efforts, building a culture of philanthropy to establish the YMCA of Greenwich as an organization worthy of the attention and generosity of a growing, committed, and diverse set of donors
- Oversees YMCA operations and programs. Works with the Board and staff to anticipate and address community needs. Spearheads the development, communication and implementation of effective strategies and processes.
- Directs the staff in carrying out initiatives, assignments, and programs under the approved strategic plan and annual budget. Ensures a positive workplace culture and an effective staff organization.
- Directs the development of the strategic plan and assures the accomplishment of organizational goals and objectives.
- Communicates and collaborates with government, schools, other not-for profits, corporations and other organizations in the community. Interprets the work of the YMCA to the community and ensures its mission, vision, values and goals are understood.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships within the community and the YMCA of Greenwich, as well as within the state, regional, national and international YMCA movements.
- Provides leadership in securing needed resources for current operations, capital improvement, community development and long range financial stability. Oversees the long-range development of the YMCA of Greenwich’s resources.
- Recommends annual budget for Board approval. Ensures prudent fiscal management, reporting and controls. Oversees financial operations.
YMCA Competencies (Organizational leader):
Mission and Community Oriented: Incorporates YMCA mission and values into the organization’s vision and strategies. Advocates for and institutionalizes inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Ensures community engagement; promotes the global nature of the YMCA movement. Leads a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion and ownership.
People Oriented: Is recognized as an inspirational community leader who navigates complex political and social circles with ease. Initiates the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Engages and inspires people within and outside the YMCA. Ensures that a talent management system is in place and executed effectively.
Results Oriented: Determines benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives. Invests resources in well-designed innovation initiatives. Possesses penetrating insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills. Creates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Leads a culture of philanthropy. Develops and implements stewardship strategies.
Personal Development Oriented: Shares authority and demonstrates courage and humility. Creates a learning organization. Effectively drives change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree; operating financial expertise, as well as experience running a large facility.
- Ten or more years broad management experience, preferably in the YMCA and/or not-for-profit sector, including strategic planning, board and volunteer development, and philanthropic development.
- YMCA Organizational Leader certificate required within three years from date of hire.
- Demonstrated record of strong fund raising, experience in community relations, financial development, financial management, and board and volunteer development.
- Ability to attract, retain, lead and motivate quality staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of community resources and the ability to engage and partner these resources with the YMCA to meet strategic objectives.
- Must be an articulate spokesperson on behalf of the YMCA and be regarded as a peer to other top-level community leaders.
- Prefer knowledge of and previous experience with, diverse populations (language, culture, race, physical ability, sexual orientation, etc.). Ability to speak any language in addition to English may be helpful.
- Commitment to the mission of the YMCA of Greenwich and its core values.
- An understanding of the national and international relationships of the YMCA is preferred.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Chief Executive Officer“.
Senior Swim Team Coach
Date: August 2021
FLSA Code: Exempt – Full-Time
The Senior Swim Team Coach will be expected to develop and grow the team through proper administration and coaching duties. The successful candidate will have the ability to work well with athletes, parents, and the other coaches. This candidate must embrace the mission of the YMCA of Greenwich and the Marlins Swim Team. The Senior Head Coach will help manage the swim team in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth by USA Swimming and the YMCA of Greenwich Marlins.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or related field is required.
- USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching as well as YMCA principles of competitive swimming experience are essential.
- At least two years of coaching or instructing experience in an aquatic organization.
- A broad understanding of the sport of swimming as well as the ability to coach a group of competitive athletes.
- Additional certifications: CPR, First Aid, Safety Training for Swim Coach.
- Must demonstrate flexibility in the day-to-day operations of the team.
- Computer proficiency and experience in administrative aspects of the coaching profession are required.
- Follows and enforces USA Swimming Safe Sport guidelines.
- Oversees senior swim registration, understands basic functions of Team Manager, Meet Manager and Team Unify including emails, team entries, and time reports.
- Develops and maintains budget. Manages time and expenses effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those connected to the program, including but not limited to USA Swimming, Connecticut Swimming, YMCA staff, and members.
- Provides excellent customer service to our swimmers and families responding to parent inquiries over the phone, email, and onsite.
- Have the ability to coach creatively and enthusiastically, and have the initiative to learn new and innovative coaching techniques.
- Develops a season practice and meet schedule for the team.
- Assists Marketing providing timely team information for promotion (i.e.: photos, meet announcements, etc.)
- Plans and organizes events for the team.
- Assists and actively participates in the planning and operation of home meets and coaches away meets.
- Maintains a professional and responsible attitude and demeanor ensuring that all members of the team have an enjoyable and successful experience
- Responsible for assisting the Head Coach in all administrative aspects of the team
- Assists the various parent committees in organizing apparel, team functions, and home swim meets
- Represents the YMCA in a positive manner by maintaining relationships with other organizations and community groups.
- Maintains a high level of communication and projects a positive and enthusiastic image on the pool deck.
- Supports the Annual Giving Campaign, and encourages staff to do the same.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Effect on end results
The YMCA of Greenwich Marlins Swim Team is a community team that encompasses all aspects of the community from the youngest swimmer to the elite athlete. The Swim Team is a role model for all swim programs in the area and will grow to its maximum potential.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Senior Swim Team Coach“.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR ALL STAFF:
YMCA of Greenwich Character Development: The core values that guide the YMCA in fulfilling the mission and goals are: caring, honesty, respect & responsibility.
General Positions Available:
- Relations Associate/Front Desk
- Swim School Instructors
- Youth Sports & Wellness Instructors
Interested applicants may fill out a general application at the Front Desk or email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include subject line Career Opportunity.
Aqua Fit Instructor
Supervisor: Aquatics Director
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Aqua Fit Instructor is responsible for teaching and conducting quality group exercise classes in a safe and supervised manner. In addition to providing a fun and enjoyable experience for all participant levels, the emphasis for the program is safety and participant/member satisfaction.
The ideal candidate must possess the skills necessary to teach water exercise classes, possessing the corresponding certification and experience. He/She must be able to organize and lead classes in an enthusiastic and outgoing manner, as well as develop lesson plans according to the needs and interests of participants, subject to the approval of the Aquatics Director. The ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff, YMCA members and the general public is essential. CPR and First Aid certification is required.
- Provide direct leadership and instruction for aquatic group exercise classes.
- Track attendance and class enrollment on a weekly basis.
- Maintain an up-to-date phone and email list of class members to be used in case of cancellations.
- Assist in the general maintenance of equipment used in conjunction with the classes, to include aquatic equipment, stereo equipment, but not limited to these items.
- Write and implement lesson plans based on the specifications of and feedback from the Aquatics and the specific needs and interests of the YMCA participants involved.
- Keep informed through self-study, research, and workshop participation.
- Update all certifications as necessary.
- Attend all staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Set up and break down equipment for each class period as needed.
- Carefully monitor all external access entry points. Secure all locks and alarms after each class, to include all equipment closets.
- Interpret the YMCA as a membership organization. Represent the YMCA positively and maintain positive relationships with program participants.
- Maintain a high level of customer service at all times.
- Project a positive and enthusiastic image on the job at all times.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Aqua Fit Instructor Position“.
Swim School Instructor
Supervisor: Aquatics Director
Part time position under the direction of the Aquatics Director/Swim School Coordinator, the Swim School Instructor’s primary responsibility is to provide a safe and educational aquatic environment for all YMCA swim lesson instructors and participants.
Know How: The instructor should be pleasant and possess the ability to establish a warm and friendly atmosphere.
- Arrive on time.
- Make sure all class participants have signed up for that particular youth program, taking daily attendance of the class and making sure all students are present.
- Supervise class participants to ensure safety. Advise participants of safety and class rules on the first day of class and on an as needed basis.
- Teach current and updated swimming techniques.
- Be aware of session dates, days the program is not running, making sure to notify parents/ family members of children in program at the end of each class.
- Take care and make sure equipment is taken care of and put back in its proper place.
- Enforce and follow all rules for members and staff of the YMCA.
- Report equipment breakdowns immediately to supervisors.
- Engage children and families enrolled in the program on a daily basis, maintain a high level of customer service at all times.
- Acts as a positive role model and a positive voice for the YMCA of Greenwich. Interprets the YMCA as a membership organization. Represents the YMCA positively and maintains a good and friendly relationship with YMCA members and staff, addressing each by name. Ensure all practice areas are clean prior and after practices. Maintain a positive working relationship with fellow staff and members of all ages and background.
- Promote YMCA of Greenwich Swim School Programs positively and frequently!
- Attend staff meetings and/or trainings.
- Demonstrate professionalism in the performance of all duties as directed by your supervisor.
Qualifications – Required
- Over the age of 18 years old
- Education classes or experience in recreation programs, working with children, or in a related field.
Upon hire, completion of the following certifications:
- YMCA provided First Aid/ CPR/AED for the professional rescuer certification
- Oxygen administration and blood born pathogen certification
- YMCA swimming lesson certification or attend in-house training.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Swim School Instructor Position“.
Supervisor: Aquatics Director
Free YMCA membership for employees
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough knowledge and application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques
- An understanding of facility characteristics, rules, policies and procedures
- Customer Service skills
- Leadership and decision-making skills
A lifeguard is responsible for supervision, control, and safety in and around the swimming pool during all programs. In addition, a lifeguard should possess a high degree of safety consciousness accompanied by a mature understanding that his/her primary objective should be the prevention of accidents.
- Must be 17 years of age or older.
- Must be a current certified lifeguard by American Red Cross.
- Hold a current American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- Excellent customer service is expected at all times.
- Follow the appropriate sitting and rotation schedule according to the number of lifeguards required by protocol in each pool.
- Enforce all aquatic facility policies, rules and regulations regarding supervision, safety and sanitation including daily vacuuming of the pool and maintaining a clean pool deck free of equipment.
- Lifeguards are responsible for enforcing the pool schedule.
- Log daily swimming pool chemistry. Tests as many times as required in each pool.
- As a first responder, using the Y appropriate incident report form, able to write a full report of any accident, rescue, potential danger, incident, etc. and distribute to the Aquatics Director and Director of Human Resources.
- Keep abreast of current information relating to lifeguarding and aquatic safety.
- Readiness to move bulkhead as many times as required according to the established schedule.
- Participate in regular in-service training sessions and attend staff meetings.
- Conduct swim tests as required.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Lifeguard Position“.
Membership Associate / Front Desk Position
Reports to: Membership Operations Manager
- Active Listening Skills
- Relationship Building Abilities
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations
- Able to learn our Membership Management Software
- Able to use a computer for extended periods of time and able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device
- Passionate about the YMCA Promise
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Character Traits: Proactive, self directed, attentive, solution-oriented, dependable, multi-task orientated, effective communication skills and ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Basic knowledge of computer and Microsoft Office
Under the supervision of the Membership Operations Manager, the Membership Associate is responsible for providing excellent member service, with emphasis on safety, cleanliness and participant/member satisfaction.
The incumbent must bring to this position experience in customer service and attention to consistent quality. The ability to establish and maintain harmonious interaction with staff, volunteers, YMCA members, and the general public is essential to the job. Exceptional relationship building skills and the ability to work fluently across departments is also required. The ideal candidate must be able to work in a challenging and high performing team environment.
- Maintain a high level of customer service at all times.
- Conduct new member interviews.
- Address any customer concerns or complaint and respond accordingly.
- Determine member needs and interests and follow up by making suggestions for services based on feedback.
- Have the knowledge and information pertaining to program offerings.
- Support the Annual Giving Campaign, and encourage staff to do the same.
- Interpret the YMCA as a membership organization, and represent the YMCA in a positive manner. Maintain relationships with other organizations and community groups.
- Project a positive and enthusiastic image on the job at all times.
- Cultivate strong working relationships with the YMCA members, staff, program participants and parents.
- Attend and contribute to all staff meetings and/or trainings, as required.
*** Interested applicants should email resumes to Andrea Basso, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include subject line “Career Opportunity – Membership Associate / Front Desk Position“.