Training + Certification: Simple, Fast, and Easy
Become a student of the American Red Cross, while obtaining life-saving knowledge and skills designed to keep you prepared in the event of an emergency, with all the latest health and safety training techniques and certification programs.
BLENDED LEARNING FORMAT – our Lifeguard training courses are offered in a blended learning format which allows participants to complete approximately 7 hours worth of ONLINE content outside of class. The online course work will prepare them to attend the in-person skill sessions where they will practice skills and demonstrate competency.
Participants MUST REGISTER ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE to allow ample time to start the online coursework prior to Day 1 of training. Email the instructor (AngelaReeve@optonline.net) once you have registered with the facility to request the Student Syllabus detailing how to access the online course work.
- Students must be 15 years of age by the last scheduled day of class, and
- Students must pass a PRE-REQUISITE SWIM SKILLS EVALUATION – see specific course requirements below.
Refund / Cancellation / Transfer Policy:
- Transfer request with more than 7 days notice will be honored as availability permits without penalty.
- Cancellation within 7 days prior to the start of Day 1 of your course — no refund applies.
- Transfer requests within 7 days prior to the start of your course, $75 transfer processing fee applies.
- No refunds for those who do not successfully meet all course completion requirements.
- Failed pre-requisite swim skills evaluation on Day 1 of training constitutes cancellation. No refund applies. However, those who do not pass the pre-req swim skills evaluation on Day 1 of training may request that their registration fee be applied toward a future course offering — a $75 processing fee applies. This forward application of registration fees may be requested only once.
Red Cross Training Schedule
The YMCA of Greenwich is a proud provider of American Red Cross health and safety training. We offer the latest course curriculum in Lifeguarding, Water Safety Instructor, First Aid, CPR/AED (for both the Professional Rescuer and the lay responder), Connecticut Childcare, Babysitter’s Training, and more. Our course offerings are open to members and non members.
Please check back in August for our September through December Red Cross offerings. If you have any questions please reach out to Lauren Chiappetta, Aquatics Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over. Successful participants earn certification that is valid for 2 years. Participants indicate to the instructor what level of certification they wish to pursue as detailed below:
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED – this level of certification prepares individuals to guard at indoor and outdoor POOL facilities only.
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterfront Skills – prepares individuals to guard at indoor and outdoor pools, as well as guard at non-surf, open-water areas found at public parks, resorts, summer camps and campgrounds (lakes, rivers, streams, the non-surf Long Island Sound, ponds, etc). Students need to bring their own set of search mask and fins to complete the waterfront skills portion of the training. Goggles do not suffice.
- BLENDED LEARNING Format – our Lifeguard training courses are offered in a blended learning format allowing participants to complete 7 hours worth of ONLINE content outside of class. The online course work will prepare you to attend the in-person skill sessions where you practice skills and demonstrate competency.
- Participants MUST REGISTER ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE to allow ample time to start the online course work prior to Day 1 of training. Email the instructor (AngelaReeve@optonline.net) once you have registered with the facility to request the Student Syllabus detailing how to access the online course work.
- 15 years of age by the last scheduled day of class
- Must pass a PRE-REQUISITE SWIM SKILLS EVALUATION (see below)
Pre-Req Swim Skills Evaluation for Lifeguarding:
- Goggles may be used for the 300 yard continuous swim only.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed;
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs;
- Complete a timed event within 1 min 40 secs — Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive (feet first or head first) to a depth of 7’ – 10’ to retrieve a 10 pound object, resurface and return to the starting point by with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath, and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Pre-Req Swim Skills Evaluation for Lifeguarding with Waterfront Skills:
- Goggles may be used for the 550 yard continuous swim only.
- 550 yard continuous swim demonstrating rhythmic breathing (front crawl, breaststroke, or any combination of front crawl and breaststroke);
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only;
- Complete a timed event within 1 min 40 secs — Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive (head or feet first) to retrieve a 10 pound brick from at least 7-9’ deep water, resurface and return to the starting point by swimming 20 yards on back with two hands on the brick at all times, and exit without using the steps or ladder.
- Goggles may be used for the 300 yard continuous swim, but for no other part of the pre-requisite swim skills evaluation.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
2021 Pre-Requisite Swim Skills Evaluation Dates for Lifeguard Training:
Candidates can sign up with the instructor (AngelaReeve@optonline.net) to come in by appointment for a free evaluation (plan on staying 45 minutes). Those who pass the pre-req swim skills requirements will be excused from swimming the evaluation on Day 1 of training. Those who do not pass will have the opportunity to practice and re-attempt the pre-req swim skills evaluation on Day 1 of training. Failure to pass the pre-req swim skills requirements on Day 1 of training constitutes cancellation (no refund applies).
LIFEGUARD TRAINING – FULL Course Offerings
FULL COURSE offerings – students will complete an ONLINE component outside of class and will attend all dates/times of the in-person skill sessions listed for their respective course. Those pursuing waterfront skills have additional training hours as noted below.
FULL COURSE Registration Fee = $475
Registration fee includes access to the online component of the training course, digital access to the required textbook, CPR breathing barrier, and Red Cross certification fee.
Waterfront participants must supply their own search mask and fins for the waterfront skills module. Goggles do not suffice.
Oct 22, 2021 – Nov 19, 2021
Nov 7, 2021 – Nov 21, 2021
Dec 5, 2021 – Dec 19, 2021
Dec 27, 2021 – Dec 29, 2021
LIFEGUARD TRAINING – REVIEW COURSE Offerings
Participants MUST hold a CURRENT Lifeguarding certificate (no more than 30 days expired before the Day 1 start of the Review Course offering) to be eligible to participate in the Review Course format. A copy of the current certificate must be provided to the instructor before the start of the training.
Review Course participants must complete the online component prior to attending the in-person skills sessions. Those pursuing waterfront skills have additional training hours as noted below. Participants may complete the pre-requisite swim skills requirements by appointment, or may opt to complete the pre-req swim skills evaluation during the first hour of Day 1 of training.
REVIEW COURSE Registration Fee = $375
Participants bring their own CPR breathing barrier (else a new one can be purchased for $15 on Day 1). Registration fee includes access to the online component of the course, digital textbook, and Red Cross certification fee. Waterfront participants must supply their own search mask and fins (goggles do not suffice).
ADDITIONAL Review Course Options – If the Review Course dates/times listed above do not work for your schedule, you may select any Full Course offering and request the reduced Review Course registration fee. (A reduced/modified schedule can be offered for Day 1 of training, and participants will then attend the remaining dates/times of the offering as listed in the Full Course schedule. Contact the instructor for info on this option, AngelaReeve@optonline.net).
WATERFRONT SKILLS MODULE (only)
This skills module can be added onto any CURRENT Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED certification. A copy of current certification must be supplied to the instructor before attending the session. Pre-requisite swim skill requirements are the same as those listed for the Full Course Lifeguarding with Waterfront Skills (outlined above). Completing the module does not extend the current Lifeguarding/FA/CPR/AED certification and the Waterfront Skills Module certification expires when the current LG certification expires. Participants must supply their own search mask and fins (goggles do not suffice).
The purpose of the Waterfront Skills Module is to teach currently certified lifeguards the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to emergencies in non-surf, open-water areas found at public parks, resorts, summer camps and campgrounds.
Registration Fee = $150
Includes access to digital textbook and Red Cross certification fee. Participants must bring their own CPR breathing barrier (else one can be purchased for $15 on day of training). Participants must supply their own search mask and fins (goggles do not suffice).
Questions? We’d love to help.
To register for any of the YMCA’s Red Cross training courses, please contact the Member Services Team at 203.869.1630 or visit the YMCA during regular business hours.
You can also visit our website to register by visiting www.greenwichymca.org and selecting Register Online.
For additional information on course content, or to request a training for your work, school or family and friend groups, please contact Lauren Chiappetta at email@example.com.