MEMBERSHIP POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- Membership cards must be carried at all times and scanned at the front desk upon entering the facility. For safety and security purposes, all members must take their picture and receive their I.D. upon registration. There is a $10 fee to replace a lost card
- Memberships are non-transferable and membership dues are non-refundable
- The YMCA parking lots are accessed via Mason Street and/or 50 East Putnam Ave. Both lots are for the use of the members only while they are using our facility. Vehicles must be parked in a designated parking space
- Parking permits are available at the front desk and must be predominately displayed on member vehicles
- Annual membership renewals are due on the same anniversary every year
- The YMCA reserves the right to cancel any program that fails to meet minimum enrollment requirements
- Schedules and rates are subject to change
- Program fees are payable upon registration
- The YMCA has personal trainers, exercise specialists and private swim instructors on staff. The use of outside personal trainers or swim instructors at the YMCA facility is strictly prohibited and will result in a canceled membership
- The YMCA reserves the right to take pictures/video of its participants for brochures, publications and marketing purposes. If you would prefer not to be photographed for these purposes, please let us know in writing.
- Please set your cell phone to silent mode upon entering the facility
- Cell phone use is allowed only in the cellphone friendly zones and is forbidden in all other areas of the building including locker rooms and workout areas. For more information, please see front desk
- Please respect other members by refraining from taking cell phone pictures at any time
- The YMCA reserves the right to terminate the membership of individuals who do not abide by the YMCA Code of Conduct
- If your account has a membership balance, it must be paid prior to membership reactivation or program registration
YMCA of Greenwich Member Code of conduct
The YMCA of Greenwich expects that all our members, visitors, and staff behaves appropriately, acting respectfully and responsibly towards others. Our Code of Conduct does not allow the use of inappropriate language or actions that can hurt or frighten another person. The YMCA of Greenwich reserves the right to suspend or revoke any membership privileges for any violation of the Code of Conduct, as determined by the Chief Executive Officer or the Board of Directors. The length of suspension or refund of membership dues or fees will be determined by the same authority. The YMCA of Greenwich does not allow harassment or intimidation of any kind. This includes use of inappropriate words, gestures, body language, swearing, name-calling, shouting or physical contact; any sexual contact, demonstration of sexual activity, inappropriate or sexually revealing attire; behavior which intends to or results in the theft or destruction of property; illegal substances; carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon. The YMCA of Greenwich Staff are trained and expected to respond to any reported violation of our Code of Conduct. Please do not hesitate to notify a staff member if you need assistance. The YMCA of Greenwich will investigate all reported incidents.
ACCESS TO THE BUILDING
SAFETY IS THE #1 REASON WHY EVERYONE MUST CHECK-IN AT THE Y
Checking in is important for security and accurate facility usage records, so that we can better serve you. We appreciate your coopreration. If you require assistance for your visit, please contact the Member Services team at 203.869.1630 in advance of your visit.
- Main entry to the building is via Mason Street (Level B)
- Access via East Putnam Avenue, our historic Front Door and new Visitor Center is operational during the following hours:
- Monday-Friday 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Saturday 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Members must scan their membership card at the door to gain entry and scan once they pass the Visitor Center reception desk.
YMCA OF GREENWICH HOURS OF OPERATION
- Monday- Friday 5:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Saturday 6:30 AM – 7:00 PM
- Sunday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
BUSINESS OFFICE HOURS
- Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Parking on our premises is reserved for Members of the YMCA of Greenwich that are currently using the facility.
- You should be aware of high-traffic parking times in the morning and evenings. The Y will always keep you updated regarding any events at the facility that may impact parking.
- All Members require a 2020 parking sticker which can be obtained at the Front Desk.
- Please do not park here if you are not using the facility. Tires will be chalked and timed for suspected abusers.
- Please be considerate – park in designated spaces only.
- There is no overnight parking allowed on the YMCA premises.
- Nationwide Members/Guests using the facility MUST scan/sign-in during visit.
- Nationwide Members/Guests using the facility MUST display a temporary parking pass. Please check-in at the Member Services Desk in the Lobby (Level B) to receive one.
- Action for Parking Violations and Enforcement Protocol:
- 1st Offense – Parking Violation Letter placed on vehicle.
- 2nd Offense – Adhesive Parking Violation Sticker on Vehicles Driver Side Window.
- 3rd Offense – Vehicle will be towed and stored at owner’s expense.
The Y offers you five locker room options:
- Adult men only (18 yrs+)
- Adult women only (18 yrs+… access code required)
- General women/girls (all ages)
- General men/boys (all ages)
- Family/special needs (co-ed, all ages)
Children are not allowed in the adult locker rooms, with exception on overflow days: Saturday & Sunday, 8:00am- 1:30pm. During this time, female parents/ caregivers with girls under 8 years may use the Adult Womens locker room. Male parents/caregivers with boys under 8 years may use the Adult Mens locker room.
All other circumstances should use appropriate locker rooms. Policies will be enforced. The family/ special needs locker room is available for people with special needs, parents with children of the opposite sex (moms with sons, dads with daughters) and caregivers providing assistance to those who need it. Individual adults and/or couples may not use the family locker room. The family/ special needs locker room is co-ed, so please get dressed/undressed in the private changing rooms. We urge all members to place used towels in the towel bins, located throughout the facility.
Lockers are available for Greenwich YMCA Members to rent. Options include daily use or overnight for the year (see front desk for rates). Lockers in the family locker room are not eligible for rent. Fees may be paid on an annual basis or automatically deducted from a checking account or credit card (MC, Visa or Amex) each month, and must be charged in the same manner as your membership dues. Daily lockers are available for day-use only when you are in the building and using the facilities. We strongly advise members to invest in a lock and always secure belongings. Complimentary security pouches are available at the front desk for storage of smaller valuables. Any locker that is used overnight and is not registered with the front desk will be clipped and contents will be held for a 30 day period. The YMCA of Greenwich is not responsible for lost or stolen personal belongings. There are no refunds on locker rentals.
SAUNA & STEAM ROOMS
The YMCA of Greenwich follows YMCA National Guidelines that restrict children under 18 years of age from steam room and sauna use. Patrons must adhere to the following policies:
- Swimsuits are required at all times
- Members must be 18 years of ages or older. Infants and children are prohibited.
- It is recommended that sauna usage is limited to 10-15 minutes.
- All users must re-shower before entering to the pool.
- If members are feeling sick or dizzy, discourage them from using the sauna.
- It is recommended that members drink water after use of the sauna.
- NO oils, soaps or lotions allowed in or around sauna and/or steam rooms.
WELLNESS CENTER & BASE FITNESS RULES
- Members must be 15 years of age to use the Wellness Center, 16 to use Base Fitness or be under the direct supervision of a Y Coach/Trainer. Members between the ages of 12-14 may use the Wellness Area if they have participated in the Teen Wellness Program. Children under the age of 12 may not be in the Wellness Area under any circumstance.
- Horseplay or unsafe activity, including the use of profanity is not acceptable and will not be tolerated
- Proper workout attire/shirts/shoes are required (no jeans, dress shoes, flats, heels, sandals, etc.). Gym bags, coats, purses, etc., must be kept in the storage area or in a YMCA locker. Bags may not be left by exercise equipment or at trainer’s area
- For security reasons, the Front desk cannot accept or “hold” personal items, such as duffle bags, backpacks or packages at the lobby desk or membership office. The front desk will not accept these items or be responsible for anything left unattended
- No food or drink permitted. Only water and fitness drinks in sealed plastic bottles are allowed. The use of cell phones is prohibited
- Please clean equipment after each use
- Always remove plates from bars and return all weights/ equipment to proper areas. Equipment may not be leaned against walls or mirrors
- When using free weights, always use a spotter
- Please respect 30 minute limit on cardio equipment if a member is waiting to use a machine
- Weights/equipment must stay in Wellness Center
- All personal training and/ or equipment instruction must be provided by the YMCA of Greenwich Fitness staff only. No exceptions!
OLYMPIC & ALUMNI POOL RULES
- Members must check in at the front desk before entering pool areas.
- Children 6 years and under need a parent in the water with them at all times in either pool.
- Children 7-10 years old need a parent on the pool deck at all times.
- Children 11 to 13 years old must have a parent check them in at the front desk and MUST remain on the YMCA grounds.
- If the child is a NON-SWIMMER regardless of the age, the parent/guardian MUST be in the water with the child at all times.
- If a child needs a PFD (Personal flotation device) in order to swim the parent/guardian MUST be in the water no matter the age.
- NO shoes or strollers are allowed on the pool decks.
- NO inflatable toys or flotation devices are allowed (ex. “Swimmies”, inner tubes, beach balls etc.)
- ONLY swim suits are permitted to be worn in the pool and must be full coverage for both men and women. NO street clothes are to be worn in the pools.
- Everyone MUST shower before entering either pool. This is a CT STATE LAW.
- Persons with open cuts or wounds are not permitted to enter the pools.
- You must be 18 years or older to use the saunas.
- NO spitting or nose blowing in the pool.
- NO rough play (Fighting, throwing people, chicken fighting etc.)
- YMCA approved swim diapers MUST be worn for children who are not, or recently potty trained.
- Cell phones are prohibited on deck unless in case of emergency.
- Taking pictures or video are prohibited during open swim and/or swim lessons.
- Diving only allowed in the deep end of Olympic Pool.
- If more than 2 people occupying a lap lane, swimmers must circle swim. NO ONE MAY REFUSE TO CIRCLE SWIM.
- Pool equipment: Will be managed at the lifeguards discretion adhering to the following:
- Noodles, barbells or kickboards may be used by adults (18 and over as part of recreational swim in either pool as long as it is being used properly.)
- Kickboards may be utilized by lap swimmers only.
- Everyone must follow the pool schedule. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No glass containers or food on the pool decks.
- Food is allowed in areas outside the pool deck or in the lounge.
- Smoking or vaping is prohibited on all of the YMCA of Greenwich property.
- Outdoor access doors on the Olympic pool deck are for Emergency use only.
- THE LIFEGUARDS WILL ENFORCE ALL POOL RULES and adhere to making decisions regarding safety.
- THE YMCA reserves the right to change or alter any of its policies, procedures or schedules as needed and at the discretion of the facility.
DIVING BOARD RULES
- Only one meter boards are for member use.
- Only one person on the board at a time. The next person must wait on the pool deck.
- One bounce per person on the diving board.
- Wait for the person in front of you to swim to the wall before you jump.
- You may only jump straight off the board. NO TWISTING, FLIPS, OR BACK DIVES. (Unless supervised by a diving coach and on the dive team)
- Starting blocks are for the use of the swim team and swim lessons only.
- When a lane line is set up under the diving boards, the boards are closed.
- Three meter diving boards are for use by dive team only under supervision of a diving coach.
Parent on Pool Deck Policy
In general, the following applies regardless of the activity:
- No strollers on pool deck
- No shoes (bare feet/ flip-flops only)
- No food/glass bottles of any kind on deck
- Must sit in designated seating area
Parents may observe swim classes from the viewing area (parents should not leave the viewing area as the child may need your assistance during the class). Parents who choose to watch from the viewing area must return promptly, without shoes, at the end of the class to pick up their child. Parents/guardians MUST remain at the YMCA for the duration of the program.
- Special circumstance: Siblings accompany parents to watch the lesson on deck must remain quiet throughout the duration of the class. If the noise level is a disturbance, parent and children may be asked to leave the pool deck area.
Swim, Water Polo & Diving Team Practices
- All participants must check in at the front desk prior to going to practice at the pool.
- Parents must remain on the locker room side of the pool if staying to watch practice.
- Parents are NOT to be on the “swimmer side” of the pool deck.
- Outdoor access doors at the Olympic pool are for Emergency use only and may not be used as a point of access.
Lap Swimming Etiquette
With an increase in pool usage during member lap, it is our team’s responsibility to facilitate circle swimming when necessary and ensure that all members are following the proper lap swimming etiquette.
- 3 or more swimmers in one lane must circle swim.
- Swim in a counterclockwise direction, staying on the right side of the lane.
- Try to swim with others of the same pace.
- Be aware of other swimmers in the lane.
- No diving into the lanes.
- Pass only when the middle of the lane is clear.
- Avoid congregating at the end walls; move to the right of the lane to allow active swimmers full use of the wall when turning.
- No hanging on the lane lines.
- Leave a sufficient amount of space between each swimmer so that there is room to circle swim.